12s for $1000
One of the first questions that new owners ask is, "Where should I spend my money to make my truck faster?" Here's the first recipe, for those people who want to spend about $1000 and get into the 12's. If you want even more performance, try Recipe #2.
- Fuel pump (Walbro 242 / BBK) - $108.00
- Fuel pressure regulator (KB, ATR, ANS, etc...) - $100.00
- STG Ultimate Chip (needs 3 bar map sensor) - $375.00
- Aux IC (Hayden cooler from Pep Boys) - $110.00
- IC pump (Jabsco, Johnson or Sure Flo from Campers Choice) - $110/$53.00
- Exhaust (ATR) - $395.00
- Air filter (K&N in box or on end of tube) - $35.00
- Thermostat (160 degree) - $10.00
- Manual IC pump switch - $5.00. On the fire wall above the distributor are two relays. The one on the right controls the intercooler pump and the yellow wire triggers the pump. Place a switch between the yellow wire and ground to turn the pump on.
- Torque converter clutch switch - $5.00. Place a switch between pins A and F of the ALDL connector.
- Intercooler 3/4" heater hose conversion - $10.00
- Good scan tool, such as DataMaster or Diacom.
- Full recent tune up.
If you want to improve on the performance of this, a turbo swap, such as a 20G, is necessary.
Want more performance? Try Recipe #2.